Warning…this post has almost nothing to do with quilting or sewing directly…but it has a lot to do with life lessons.
About 6 weeks ago, I begged my husband to join the local gym. It isn’t a national chain, but local to the bay area. It’s the nicest gym I’ve every been to. On top of the general workout gear, cardio machines, classes offered and personal training, they offer an amazing childcare center; a spa for manicures, pedicures, haircuts/color, etc; a cafe with coffee, sandwiches, smoothies and a lot more; a pool with hot tub; and a bar…that’s right…a bar. I can work out, shower, and then go have a beer or a glass of wine with the hubster all in the same place. It’s like a mini-date that we’ve already paid for at the beginning of the month. And the kids love to go, so I have no problem dropping them off for the full two and a half hours allowed :)
So here are some of the things I’ve learned from the gym in these first 6 weeks:
1) No one is really watching. No one really cares how you look or how much weight you can lift…because they are too busy lifting their own weights, or checking themselves out in the mirror. (I should probably mention that this isn’t a meat market gym…people are probably checking you out there).
2) This apparently applies to the locker room too. I’ve never seen so many naked people just doing their own thing (I haven’t been to any nudist events…so maybe my perspective would be a bit different otherwise). No body is checking out stretch marks or boobs or muscle tone. Everybody is just doing their thing, getting ready for the day.
3) The more you get into a class, the more fun you will have. Go ahead…grunt when you lift that weight…give a little woot woot when the instructor asks if you can feel it. Putting all you can of yourself into something really does give you a whole lot in return.
4) It’s ok to try something new…and fail. Try that new class…try a heavier weight…you might like it/lift it…you might hate it/drop it like its hot…but at least you tried it.
5) Showering without interruption is priceless when you have small kids. I pretty much knew this one before we joined the gym…but now I get to test the theory a lot more often.
6) I really like fruit-infused water. Not really a life lesson, but it ties into lesson 4…try something new…you might like it.
Be back soon with more sewing/quilting goodness.